Book a Tattoo
ABOUT ME: I’m em. I’ve been tattooing for 10 years and have spent many years as a fine artist, graphic designer, and counselor. I tattoo at my studio, Scarlet Letter. We are feminist, anti-racism, queer-friendly, body-positive, and offer vegan procedures. View my most recent work on instagram.
NOW ACCEPTING REQUESTS FOR BROOKLYN OCTOBER & LATE NOVEMBER 2019. Chicago books are FULL.
IMPORTANT: Please be sure you want to book a tattoo and are ready to cover a deposit before submitting this request. Deposit is $200 for tattoos up to 3 hours/$300 for 4+ hrs. This deposit goes towards your tattoo cost. My minimum per-appointment charge is $300.
CURRENT THEMES: I will be giving priority to flash and custom pieces with lots of freedom. I'm interested in surreal and symbolic tattoos that include organic/animal objects like plants with eyes, snakes, braids, crystals, birds, fruit, flowers, sea life. Mythology, fairy tales, and fine arts/abstract are compelling subjects. I’m also interested in working spot color into blackwork tattoos.
Please allow 1-2 weeks for a response to your request. Please do not follow up with us. We will send out offers for large/early appointments first, then once those deposits are submitted, smaller tattoos will receive offers. If I can’t accommodate your request, you will still receive a response.
+ TATTOO TIME/PRICE ESTIMATOR (click to open)
THESE APPROXIMATE TIME/PRICE ESTIMATES ARE FOR BLACK INK TATTOOS. THE MINIMUM CHARGE FOR A TATTOO IS $300. Exact estimates aren't possible because some tattoos take longer than others for reasons outside of our control.
- For tattoos that require lots of detailing, such as snake scales or feathers, double the time listed for the detailed area (x2).
- For full color or fully blacked-out tattoos, triple the time listed (x3). For partial color, only consider those areas.
- For areas where your skin is stretchy, such as the ribs or upper back, double the time (x2).
- Notice a subject limit on each item. This is the limit of objects you can include.
- 4"x4"/PALM SIZED TATTOO: 1 hour & a limit of 2 subjects ($300)
- 8"x4"/HAND SIZED TATTOO: 2 hours & a limit of 3 subjects ($500)
- 8"x7"/SHOULDER CAP OR UPPER CHEST TATTOO: 3-5 hours & a limit of 5 subjects ($750-1250)
- 9"x12"/QUARTER SLEEVE OR THIGH TATTOO: 4-6 hours & a limit of 6 subjects ($1000-1500)
- SIMPLE HALF SLEEVE: 5-7 hours & a limit of 6 subjects ($1250-1750)
- DETAILED HALF SLEEVE: 8-10 hours & a limit of 8 subjects ($2000-2500)
- SIMPLE FULL SLEEVE: 12-14 hours & a limit of 10 subjects ($3000-3500)
- DETAILED FULL SLEEVE: 15-22 hours & a limit of 12 subjects ($3750-5500)
- FULL FRONT OR BACK PIECE: 10-22 hours & a limit of 12 subjects ($2500-5500)
Unless you are visiting town, tattoos longer than 5 hours will be divided into several sessions with a minimum of 2 week healing periods between. You will be scheduled for the next appointment at the end of your first.